Luke Funk in My Fox New York in October 2010 reported the following:
- The New Jersey Turnpike Authority spent $43 million on unneeded items.
- For example, one employee with a base salary of $73,469 earned $321,985 including bonuses.
- Toll dollars “were spent on items ranging from an employee bowling league to employee bonuses for working on birthdays and holidays.”
- Toll charges were simultaneously being increased and are expected to increase in 2012.
- $30 million was spent on providing “unjustified bonuses to employees and management in 2008 and 2009 without consideration of performance.”
- Employees received bonuses and overtime for working on holidays and birthdays, and were allowed to cash out sick unused sick and vacation time circumventing a $15,000 limit.
To read the entire article, click on Audit: NJ Turnpike Wasted Millions On Perks.